Updated on Friday 27.11.2020
Sydney’s climate suggests that for 6–9 months a year, you will need air conditioning to cool a house or apartment. For another 2-3 months, climate equipment can be used for heating, so that you do not have to install a separate cooling and heating unit separately. ABC Air specialists in this article tell you what to look for when choosing an air conditioner model and how much air conditioning costs.
How much does it cost to install an air conditioner?
The cost to install air conditioning in an average-sized house typically ranges between $600 and $5,000 or more, but may also reach $9,000 to $20,000 for larger homes.
If you are interested in installing an air conditioner but do not know how much you will have to pay for the system itself and its installation, we approximate calculations. You can get a more accurate assessment of the situation by contacting our specialists directly. The technologist will perform the necessary measurements and estimates on the spot. Together you can choose the optimal climate control system.
What affects the cost to install air conditioner
The cost of installation depends on what stage you are at:
- The house is currently being built;
- The house has already been built, but there is no air conditioning;
- The house was built a long time ago, and an old air conditioner was installed, which must be replaced.
The cheapest way is to install ducted air conditioning during the construction phase. If you plan the places where the outdoor and indoor units will be placed and the air ducts, the construction contractor can develop a house plan with these features in mind.
If the house is already ready, it is inconvenient to place the outdoor unit or to pass air ducts through the ceiling. Therefore, the installation of the system in the finished house will cost more—the price rises in proportion to the complexity of construction work. If you need to dismantle the old equipment, this will also lead to an increase in the final account.
It is imperative to make technical calculations after a specialist visits your office or home. By phone or e-mail, you can get only a preliminary consultation. The cost is influenced by factors that non-professionals seem insignificant:
- Space under the roof and in the attic;
- The size of the rooms and their number (those where air conditioners will be installed);
- Isolation of rooms;
- Which side of the room window.
Air Conditioner installation cost in Sydney
If you do not consider the uniqueness of each house, you can focus on average prices to plan your budget:
- For a two-story house with three bedrooms, in which you can install an air duct only on the top floor, installing a 7.1-kilowatt system will be from 6900 to 8500 dollars.
- In the same situation, but with four bedrooms, it is worth counting on the amount from 7800 to 9500 dollars to install a 10-kilowatt system.
- In a two-story house where air conditioners are needed on all floors, you will have to use transitions between levels. The sizes of the blocks should also be larger so that there is enough power for the lower floor. Such a system will cost the owner from 11,000 to 12,900 dollars. Its power should be in the range of 14 to 16 kilowatts (for three or four bedrooms upstairs and several rooms below).
- In a one-story house with four bedrooms and several additional rooms, you will need a system with a capacity of 14 to 16 kilowatts and a cost of about 10,400 – 11,900 dollars.
To install the air conditioner under the floor, more expensive (compared to the plastic ceiling), aluminum grilles are required. Therefore, the system will cost about $ 1,000 more.
Now, when you have an idea about the cost of air conditioning installation it is time to decide which type of an Aircon you would actually want.
How Much Does It Cost to Install a Ducted air conditioning
The total for a ducted air conditioning installation cost includes installation labour rates and a ducted air conditioner (e.g. split, reverse cycle, or inverter unit) which averages around $4,000 to $7,000.
Ducted air conditioning consists of an internal and external compressor. They are quite massive blocks. Therefore, they are recommended to be located on the back or side of the house. So the technique will not interfere with the neighbors and degrade the overall architectural composition.
The indoor unit can also be placed in the roof space. To distribute chilled air throughout the house, we use air ducts. They are laid through the roof and walls. The entire system is hidden from view, and only ventilation openings remain visible. This model is ideal for creating a comfortable climate in large or multi-story buildings.
In this article we went far and beyond reviewing all models od ducted AC.
How Much Does It Cost to Install a Split System Air Conditioner in Australia?
Split system air conditioner installation cost is a summary of the installation labour rates (roughly $70 to $90 per hour depending on your location) and the price of an AC split unit, which may range from $600 to $2,600 depending on its capacity and brand.
Split system aircon can consist of one outdoor unit and up to eight indoor units. Air cooling or heating takes place in the central outdoor compressor. Internal fan coils are hung on the walls in the rooms. The pump already cooled air in and draw warm out of the room. Each wall unit can be controlled separately by adjusting the airflow, temperature, air ionization.
3. Evaporative Air Conditioning
The principle of operation of this technique is the same as that of ducted air conditioners. The critical difference is the method of air cooling by evaporation. The warm air from the room the air conditioner draws in, drives through the wet plates, while cooling in parallel. Then the cold stream is pushed back into the room. Evaporation technology does not make the air as severe as with a ducted air conditioner or split system. People felt the flow of air as a cool natural wind. At the same time, air humidity remains higher, which favorably affects the skin.
We recommend reading.
How to choose the best air conditioner?
The main thing is that the air conditioner is energy-saving. Built-in inverter technology allows you to accelerate the motor to the maximum speed at the beginning of work. The room cools quickly (or heats up). Then, the number of revolutions per minute decreases to the minimum level, sufficient to maintain the specified settings. This technology can reduce energy costs by 30-50%.
What you need to know before installing the air conditioner?
ABC Air employees use many factors in their calculations. This allows you to take into account all the needs of the client, as well as select equipment of optimal power. At a personal visit, the specialist determines:
- We find the best place on the roof or back wall of the house to accommodate the outdoor unit. In homes with flat roofs or in apartment buildings (where there is no access to the foundation), split, and multi-split systems are usually used. For a channel air conditioner, in this case, there is not enough space.
- If you plan to heat the house in the winter, then it is better to install an inverter model of climatic equipment immediately.
- The layout of the house and the number of floors significantly affects the complexity of installation. It is also necessary to calculate the length and configuration of the ducts. If it is not possible to place between floors, it is also worth taking a closer look at split systems.
How much does an air conditioner cost for a 2,000 sq. ft home?
It costs $ 3,000 to $ 4,000 to install a central air conditioner in a 2,000 square foot home with an existing forced ventilation system. If you need to lay air ducts, then the cost increases by about 40%.
How much does it cost to fix an AC?
If the owner turned in on time and only one element of the system needs to be repaired, then the price ranges from $ 165 to $ 580. Most contractors calculate their rates based on work performed, not hourly wages.
How much does it cost to buy an AC unit?
The average cost of a new air conditioner is between $ 1,200 and $ 6,800. The final price depends on the capacity, required ducting and installation costs.