In this article, we will help you choose the best portable air conditioner for yourself. We will tell you about what a modern portable air conditioner is. You will figure out what characteristics of equipment you should pay attention to first of all, and what you can save on. Also, you will be able to independently determine the required power and type of climate control equipment for your home.
Of course, you need to check out the portable air conditioner reviews. So you will have a complete understanding of the current market and can choose the perfect model.
How do portable air conditioners work?
Portable air conditioners are one of the most popular types of HVAC equipment. The demand for this product is quite high. There are several types of portable air conditioners that differ in both design and operation. The portable condensing unit is a conventional monoblock unit with an evaporative and condensing heat exchanger, compressor, and fan. Freon is used as a refrigerant. As a rule, portable climatic equipment of this type is produced in floor-standing design.
The main advantage of such installations is the absence of complicated installation work. The disadvantages include high noise levels and high demands on the removal of hot air.
A portable evaporative air conditioner consists of a body in which there are installed: a heat-exchange unit made of a capillary-porous material with through channels for free air movement; heating elements; airflow fan; container for collecting water. The principle of operation of this device is quite simple. Water enters the heat exchange unit, which passes through the pores of the material located inside. Air is supplied through channels located throughout the volume of the heat exchange unit, which leads to the evaporation of water. Water takes heat from the air and gives it cold, which accompanies the evaporation process. To increase the rate of evaporation of water, a fan is provided in the design of such a device.
As a result: the air leaving the device has a lower temperature than the one entering the device. In addition to cooling, air masses are cleaned of dust and humidified. A distinctive feature of such air conditioners is the absence of any pipeline and the ability to work in fan heater mode in the winter season.
Using such a simple and self-contained device, you get a personal portable air conditioner for relatively little money
Best small portable air conditioner
Portable Mini Air Conditioner is a unique portable air cooler. With a small air conditioner, a pleasant coolness will be with you wherever you are. Its advantages:
- A small portable air conditioner very quickly lowers the temperature in any room. It only takes a few minutes to cool down.
- Due to its compact size and lightweight, the mobile air conditioner can be taken with you wherever you go, even to work.
- Quiet fan operation is one of the main advantages of the mini air cooler. You will receive only the desired coolness and no annoying sounds.
- Most often, manufacturers provide at least three-speed modes that allow you to create an optimal microclimate for you.
- Modern technology is increasingly incorporating many functions in one device. Many mini air conditioners give you the following bonuses:
- By purchasing a mini air conditioner, you get not only a cooler, but also a humidifier and an air purifier. This is a great way to take care of your health.
- Additional color lighting or mono single color mode enhances mood.
- Mini air conditioners are easy to operate. Click on the start button and enjoy the coolness.
- Want to know how a mini air conditioner works? This is important as this technology cools without CFC:
- Place the compact and lightweight air cooler on any horizontal surface above floor level, fill it with water, and connect to the power source.
- The device can be powered by a laptop or portable charger.
- Select and set the desired fan speed.
- Wait 3 minutes for the mini air conditioner filter to soak in water.
- Press the power button.
The work cycle is usually around 8 hours.
Best portable reverse cycle air conditioner
Such models of air conditioners in the cold season can heat the room. A good example is a compact and easy-to-install Teco portable reverse cycle air conditioner. It has a power of 3.5 kW, remote control. A portable reverse-cycle air conditioner keeps you cool in summer and warm in winter. You can also save on portable heaters. But in this case, split systems are more effective. They are more powerful, have more settings, and at the same time consume significantly less electricity.
Cheap portable air conditioner
Portable cons prices start at $ 349. Of course, an expensive air conditioner doesn’t mean it’s the best. But most budget models do not use energy-saving technology. Therefore, during operation, this option will become even more expensive for you.
Euromatic White portable air conditioner
- 3.3kW Cooling power
- 3 Modes: cool, dehumidify and fan
- Window kit included
- Touch control panel
- Remote control operation.
Kmart portable air conditioner
- 8,000 BTU Cooling
- Built-In Timer
- Window Kit Included
- 3-Speed Fan
- Remote Control.
ALDI portable air conditioner
- Cooling Power 2.7 kW
- Dehumidifying Function
- Remote Control
- Smart Control.
Arlec portable air conditioner
1. Arlec 7000 BTU has 2.05KW (with exhaust hose and window fitting).
2. Arlec 12,000 BTU 3.5kw portable air conditioner. Price (RRP) is $ 420.00. Manufacturer Warranty is 1 year.
Kogan portable air conditioner
Kogan 14,000 BTU portable air conditioner (4.1kw, reverse cycle). Specifications:
- 4.1kW, reverse cycle
- Serves areas up to 30 sqM
- Airflow volume: 50 sqM / h
- 4 wheels – easy portability
- Remote control – batteries included
- Sliding window exhaust connection kit
- Continuous drainage via a water drainage hose (not included).
- Kogan 12,000 BTU portable air conditioner (3.5kw, reverse cycle). Specifications:
- Power Source Battery
- Voltage 220 V
- Automatic Shutoff
- Sleep Mode
- Hose included
- Digital Display, Thermostat Included
- Remote Control
- Power 12000 BTU / H
- Operating Sound Rating 62 dB (A).
Dimplex portable air conditioner
- 1.8L / hr. Dehumidification Capacity
- 2kW Cooling Capacity
- Room Size 13-16m2
- 2-year domestic warranty.
DeLonghi portable air conditioner
A popular model is the Pinguino PACEX120SILENT:
- Dimensions 44.5x39x80.5
- Weight (Kg): 32
- Rated voltage: 220-240 V
- Maximum sound power level dB (A): 64
- Noise Pressure Level (min-max) dB (A): 49-53
- Air flow (min-med-max): 250-310-350 m³ / h
- Dehumidifying capacity combi mode (l / 24h): 32
- Dehumidifying function
- EER: 2.85 (W / W)
- Energy efficiency class: A
- For rooms up to (m³): 110
- Input power (W): 1050 W
- Maximum cooling capacity: 11500 BTU / h – 3Kw
- Refrigerant gas: R290
- Remote control
- Timer (min): 24h electronic timer.
Omega Altise portable air conditioner
- 2-speed settings
- Electronic controls
- Remote control
- Variable thermostat
- 24 hours on/off timer
- Directional louvers
- Active carbon filter
- Window kit included
- Dehumidifying mode
- Humidity removal of up to 2.4 liters per hour
- AQUA CHILL technology for greater efficiency
- Maximum air movement of 380m3 / hr
- 2 Years replacement warranty.
Mistral portable air conditioner
Mistral 16000 BTU Portable air conditioner features digital soft-touch control, 3 modes: cooling, dehumidifying, and fan setting, with a full-function remote control and timer function, castor wheels & 3-speed fan.
- 24-hour programmable timer
- Full function remote control
- Digital soft touch control
- 3 modes: Cool / Dry / Fan.
Convair portable air conditioner
Featuring three-speed settings and a 5.3kW cooling capacity, the 002590 Convair model is said to be powerful enough to cool large living areas.
Some of the key features include:
- Anti-frosting function
- Aquasmart condensate disbursement system
- Thermal protection
- 24-hour timer.
Stirling portable air conditioner
- 4.1kW Cooling Power
- 2 Speed Settings
- Four Air Filters
- Led Display Screen
- Window Kit
- Castor Wheels.
Polocool portable air conditioner
Polocool Whisper PQ10C 2.6kW Cooling Only Portable Air Conditioner. Key Features:
- Incorporates various noise-reducing technologies for quiet operation.
- LED-backlit display can be remotely turned off to minimize distractions when going to sleep.
- Suitable for areas 12 to 18 sq. m in size.
Rinnai portable air conditioner
Enjoy cooling comfort on-the-go with the sleek Rinnai 4.1 kW Portable Air Conditioner. Supported by:
- An inbuilt timer
- Washable filter
- Convenient water alarm.
- This Mobile Air Conditioner makes personalized comfort a breeze.
Onix portable air conditioner
Onix Portable Air Con 2.7kw in white is very popular in Australia:
- 2 Speed settings
- LED Touch control panel
- 24hr Timer
- 3 Functions: Cooling, dehumidifying, and auto
- Castor wheels
- Remote control operation
- Window kit included
- Cools up to 10-16m2.
Best quiet portable air conditioner
Zanussi ZACM-14 VT / N1 Vitorrio with high power and performance provides a comfortable living environment and maintains an optimal temperature. The device cools an area of 25-36 sq. m. The air conditioner operates in three modes, providing excellent sound insulation.
Convenient control with remote control. The structure weighs 31 kg, therefore it is easy to transport. The device operates in three modes: cooling, dehumidification, and ventilation.
- Power 4.1 kW
- Air exchange 300 m3 / h
- Noise level 47 dB
- Dimensions 475 × 405 × 747 mm
- 3 operating modes (cooling, dehumidification, ventilation)
- Timer, automatic evaporation of condensate, remote control.
Best portable air conditioner without hose
The Honeywell CS071AE Evaporative Chiller is a good example of a ductless air conditioner. The device is fairly lightweight (especially when compared to its portable AC cousins) at just 12.3 pounds. The base measures 10 “by 15” and the height of the device is 25.4 “. This ensures easy mobility (especially thanks to the strong casters) and placement even between furniture and other appliances. The compact size is also useful if you want to move your unit to the bedroom at night and to other parts of the house during the day.
The remote also allows you to control the device from across the room. This includes a timer function, which is a good energy-saving feature, especially at night. The timer can be set from 30 minutes to 7 hours.
When it comes to energy savings, this seems to be what evaporative air coolers in general – and the Honeywell CS071AE, in particular, do best. Honeywell’s power consumption never exceeds 50W thanks to patented brushless motor technology.
This same engine allows the unit to cool up to 100 square feet of space. Notably, the airflow is on par with even a few portable AC models, so the low-power motor is quite powerful.
Apart from the engine, the other half of the cooling comes from the water content of the unit. The tank has a 7-liter water tank that disperses in a fine mist. This makes the Honeywell CS071AE ideal for humidifying dry air, and the large tank capacity means the cooling won’t end anytime soon. It can be used in both hot and cold weather if you want to add a little moisture.
Excellent addition to the device is a charcoal filter, which removes impurities from the air as it passes through. This is ideal for allergy sufferers or those who live in high pollution areas. In addition to charcoal filters, the honeycomb cooling medium also works to absorb heat more efficiently, thereby releasing cooler air.
Another feature is a quiet, low power mode that allows the device to operate with minimal power consumption and noise. This includes the lowest speed setting and is ideal for those looking to stay cool through the night without hearing the hum of portable air conditioners. Slow speed can mean you have more time to cool down, but it also means you don’t hurt your electricity bill that much, even if you let Honeywell run all night.
Best Dual hose portable air conditioner
Introducing the Whynter ARC-143MX 14,000 BTU Dual Hose 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner with 3M Antimicrobial Filter and Storage Bag, suitable for areas up to 46 square meters.
About this item:
- 14,000 BTU (ASHRAE) / 9,500 BTU (SACC) cooling capacity
- 14,000 BTU cooling, dual hose operation
- Eco-friendly CFC free Green R-410A refrigerant;
- Patented auto-drain function fully exhausts all condensate automatically in most environments
- Three operational modes: Air conditioner, fan, or dehumidifier.
What should I look for in a portable air conditioner?
Start by checking the cooling capacity. Expressed in kW or BTU (Anglo-Saxon unit), it tells users which large room a given air conditioner will operate in.
Calculating the exact refrigeration capacity of an air-conditioning room requires many factors to be considered, including the location of the room, the length of the interior and exterior walls, the area and location of the windows, and the quality of insulation.
However, for simplicity, it is assumed that for every cubic meter there should be a minimum of 0.03–0.035 kW of cooling capacity, which in the case of rooms with a height of 2.7 gives us a result of about 0.087 kW per m2.
It is assumed that 1 kW is equivalent to 3,412,142 BTU. Thus, an 8000 BTU device will have a capacity of 2.43 kW. The following table will help you select the optimum refrigeration capacity, indicating the minimum demand for each area:
The airflow, expressed in units of m2 / h, indicates the cooling rate. The higher it is, the faster the air conditioner can reduce the temperature to the desired level. It is better to focus on devices with an airflow rate of at least 300 m3 / h.
The minimum temperature that can be obtained with an air conditioner is usually at least 16 degrees C, and the maximum temperature that can be set is higher than the minimum by 13-17 degrees. It should be noted that for health reasons, the optimal difference between the temperature inside the cooled room and outside should be no more than 6-7 degrees C.
Portable air conditioners are not quiet devices to keep in mind when deciding to buy them. In this case, the quiet operation usually means low efficiency. It is important that the air conditioner has an optimal balance of operating noise and efficiency. A noise level of 55 dB can be considered acceptable for a unit with a cooling capacity of 3.5 kW or more, but not for a cooling capacity of 2.3 kW.
Pros and cons of portable air conditioners
As the name suggests, the biggest advantage of portable air conditioners is their portability. Enjoy the freedom to move your device according to your current needs!
Unlike a traditional air conditioner, you can install a portable air conditioner in minutes! Just remember to have access to a power outlet and place the equipment near a window (for the exhaust pipe). A special window seal added to the kit by some manufacturers (eg Fersk) can be useful for this.
The absence of an external block makes the consent of the administration or other residents unnecessary. The air conditioner does not affect the facade of the building and does not make noise from the outside, which could annoy neighbors.
Multifunctional, so it’s nice to cool off in summer and warm in winter. Most portable air conditioners are multifunctional devices that allow you not only to cool but also to heat, dry, and ventilate rooms.
Low Price – All of the above features are affordable! A portable air conditioner is a guarantee of a favorable price-quality ratio.
The disadvantages include the following:
- Window exposure – affects the insolation of the apartment. Rooms on the west or south side get hotter. In such cases, when looking for a device for a given area, it is worth taking a refrigerating capacity 25-30% more than expected.
- Top floor or attic – The top floor is often panoramic, but is also most prone to temperature extremes. When looking for an air conditioner suitable for your space, also provide a higher cooling capacity (up to 40-50%).
- In any case, split systems show significantly better results both in small and large areas. Split air conditioning systems cool the room faster and also maintain a more even temperature. And split systems have a lower noise level.
What’s the best portable air conditioner to buy? TOP 5
Best portable air conditioners in Australia we promote below.
1. DeLonghi Pinguino Air-to-Air (PACEL112CST) is the best quiet portable air conditioner (and best overall).
• RRP: $ 899
• Cooling capacity: 2.9kW
• Cooling area: 23sqm
• Dimensions: 450 x 750 x 410mm
• Noise: 47-64 dB
• Warranty: 2 years
2. Shinco 7,000 BTU (2050W) is the best budget portable air conditioner.
• RRP: $ 349
• Cooling capacity: 2.05kW
• Cooling area: 12-15 sqm
• Dimensions: 445 x 830 x 375mm
• Noise: 57 dB
• Warranty: 1 year
3. Kogan SmarterHome 5.2kW Reverse Cycle is the best portable air conditioner for large spaces.
• RRP: $ 599
• Cooling capacity: 5.2kW
• Cooling area: 35 sqm
• Dimensions: 370 x 815 x 595mm
• Noise: 65 dB
• Warranty: 1 year
4. Kogan SmarterHome 4.1kW Reverse Cycle is the best smart portable air conditioner (and best reverse cycle).
• RRP: $ 499
• Cooling capacity: 4.1kW
• Cooling area: 30 sqm
• Dimensions: 340 x 830 x 443mm
• Noise: 62 dB
• Warranty: 1 year
5. Polocool PC Series 6.0kW Cooling is the Best Portable Air Conditioner for large rooms with smart functions.
• RRP: $ 1395
• Cooling capacity: 6.0kW
• Cooling area: 42 sqm
• Dimensions: 365 x 565 x 775mm
• Noise: 62 dB
• Warranty: 5 years.
How much do portable air conditioners cost to buy?
From $ 349 to 1500.
Do portable air conditioners use a lot of electricity?
Older models without an energy-saving function consume a lot of electricity. The newer models are much more energy-efficient.
Is it worth buying a portable air conditioner?
If you live in a rented apartment and cannot install a split system, a portable air conditioner will solve your issues.
Do portable air conditioners really work?
Yes, portable air conditioners will make your home climate cooler or warmer for reverse cycle models.
Which brand of a portable air conditioner is the best?
Every year, users award 1 place on a set of criteria to different brands. DeLonghi became the winner in 2020.
Why portable air conditioners are bad?
They are not bad, but only not as effective as, for example, split systems.