This guide has been updated 06.23.2023.
In today's market, there are a vast number of equipment models. There are budget, middle class, and premium segments. The cost depends not only on functions and stylish design.
Energy-saving technologies are expensive for manufacturers, so they are laid at the original price. But after a few months, such a product pays off the investment, as electricity bills are sharply reduced. On the contrary, budget models are hardly economical.
It is crucial to evaluate the noise, the refreshing, and antibacterial filters. Advanced users create ratings so that beginners can choose the best option. We will talk about ideal window air conditioners for rooms ranging in size from 14 to 42 square meter in this article.
Table of Contents
What is the best window air conditioner in Australia
Which window air conditioner to choose from?
How to choose the right size window air conditioner?
How to determine the energy efficiency of equipment?
Features of a window air conditioner
Most popular window air conditioning
LW8016ER Energy Star Window Air Conditioner
87050 Window Mini-Compact Air Conditioner
FFRA0511R1 Window-Mounted Air Conditioner
Cool Connect Smart Window Air Conditioner
According to the reviews and feedback LG LW8016ER Energy Star Window Air Conditioner is the best one in Australia in 2021/2022.The average market price is $ 600. The weight of the block is 12 kg. And its parameters are 482 x 482 x 304 mm.
Even though you will be learning more about window air conditioning in this guide, we would still advice you to look closer at a ducted systems, because it`s much more convinient.
Please check our full installation service here
and the catalogue of ducted AC here
- The LG LW8016ER Energy Star Window Air Conditioner is considered the best overall window AC unit in Australia for 2023/2024 based on reviews. It has 8,000 BTU cooling capacity for rooms up to 32 sqm.
- When choosing an AC unit, match the BTU cooling capacity to the room size. Larger rooms need higher BTU models. Also consider room features like windows, insulation, etc.
- Energy efficiency ratings (EER) indicate how efficient the AC unit is. Higher EER means more savings on electricity bills. Newer models tend to have better EER.
- Features to look for include temperature/humidity customization, air filter indicators, adjustable air flow, remote control, and smart features like WiFi control.
- Leading window AC brands are LG, Kenmore, Frigidaire, GE, Daikin. Prices range from $149 for a basic 5,000 BTU unit to $739 for a smart 10,000 BTU model.
- For larger spaces, consider other options like split system air conditioning or ducted air conditioning which are more powerful and effective for whole home cooling.
Window air conditioning and portable models are the smallest in size range. Window air conditioners are suitable for small rooms. They are useful if the parameters of the windows allow you to install air conditioning. This option is the most compact.
If this is not possible, classic split systems come to the rescue. But the owner of the apartment or house will have to allocate space on the floor for the indoor unit. You will also need to stretch a special hose from the indoor unit to the outdoor on the street. Both options work very quietly and provide comparable performance.
The size of the housing must be selected depending on the area of the room. It is not only about the fact that the small device fits better into the design and does not clutter up space on the wall, floor, or ceiling. The larger the air conditioning, the more powerful it is. Excessive power will cost the client more. Too small models can adjust the climate not fast enough and not good enough.
A common mistake is an opinion that it is better to buy a more powerful device. Of course, it can be set to a minimum limit. But such equipment consumes more electricity and wears out more. As mentioned earlier, a powerful air conditioner still takes up more space. Therefore, to choose the optimal model, it is necessary to make professional calculations.
The ability of equipment to cool the air manufacturers indicates in BTU the number of square meters. It is a British measurement system; the BTU value for each model is printed on a box or case and duplicated in catalogs and on the company's website. There is a direct relationship. The larger the room, the higher the BTU value.
When calculating, it is desirable to take into account the following details:
- The height of the ceilings, windows, and doorways.
- A number of windows and doors.
- The area of individual rooms and the whole house.
- Layout and number of floors.
- The material of the roof and walls, the presence of insulation.
- The desired temperature in the rooms
- Location of rooms (sunny or north side).
For proper installation of a window or wall air conditioner, it is necessary to make the correct geometric measurements. There should also be free space around. This facilitates future access to the system for preventative maintenance. Also, the open space around the air conditioner improves air circulation.
Manufacturers designate energy efficiency ratings as EER. It is enough to divide the BTU of the device by the power consumption in watt-hours to measure it. High levels of EER mean significant savings in electricity bills. Energy-efficient models of air conditioners are more expensive due to the introduction of new technologies. But this technique pays off within a few months.
Owners of old air conditioners (older than 5 years or more) are beneficial to replace them with new ones. Such investment returns very quickly. At the same time, the buyer receives additional functionality, comfort, and modern design.
Many brands equip window air conditioning with energy-saving modes. It means that when the equipment is not used, it automatically turns off. For this, manufacturers integrate sensors in the case that respond to movement in the room. Another opportunity to increase energy efficiency is the presence of automatic modes.
When the set temperature is reached, the air conditioner sets the optimum engine speed to maintain the result. Since the system does not turn off, this eliminates temperature fluctuations and reduces electricity consumption.
Power-saving night mode means minimal cooling. It reduces the noise level so as not to interfere with restful sleep. Also, the temperature in the room rises slightly, which does not allow to freeze, being without movement.
- Most models have fine-tuned temperature and humidity settings. The user can add or decrease the value by 0.5 ° C and 1% humidity. Some models may work in fan or room heating mode.
- The filter indicator lights up when it needs to be replaced or cleaned. Filters trap large particles of dust, viruses, and bacteria. Deodorizing cartridges can decompose odors and work on the principle of drawing.
- Oscillations of the curtains near the openings of the body better distribute the airflow. Their orientation can also be adjusted in the settings. It allows you to disperse fresh air as efficiently as possible.
- The remote control works from a distance of several meters and sets the modern standard for the use of electronics.
- Smart air conditioners are equipped with Wi-Fi. With it, users control the system while away from home via smartphones.
Now readers have to study the rating of the most popular air conditioners in 2021.
This LG model users unanimously recognized as the best overall window air conditioning. The average market price is $ 300. The weight of the block is 23 kg And its parameters are 482 x 482 x 304 mm. The cooling efficiency is 8,000 BTU. It is enough to maintain a comfortable climate in a room of about 32 m2. Among the additional features, customers will find:
- Three cooling speeds and one speed in fan mode.
- Inverter technology allows you to set the optimal speed for energy saving automatically.
- Delayed start within 24 hours.
- Convenient remote control.
The KENMORE brand model is the most budgetary in its class. The retail price is set at $ 149. The energy efficiency indicator is 5,000 BTU. This performance is enough for high-quality cooling of a room with an area of up to 14 m2. The model has only two modes, but the user can change the direction of the airflow to the left or right. The engine runs quietly. Case parameters: 380 x 406 x 304 mm. The weight of the block is 20kg.
The manufacturer FRIGIDAIRE has become famous for its easy installation. The power, overall dimensions, and cooling area of the model are the same as the previous one. Weight is 41 pounds. The air conditioner price is about $ 640. At the same time, the buyer can easily install the device on their own, saving on a technologist call.
Energy Star Window Smart Room Air Conditioner
This GE air conditioner is recognized as the most advanced in the Smart segment. Its price is at the level of $ 599. But users can use functions such as:
- Built-in Wi-Fi.
- Three fan speeds and three cooling modes.
- Remote controller.
- It is connected to Alexa, Apple Home Kit, and Google Assistant technologies.
The 590 x 406 x 558 mm case weighs 20 kg. A capacity of 8,000 BTU is enough to cool 38 m2.
The FRIGIDAIRE brand specializes in large areas. With a capacity of 10,000 BTU, it effectively copes with cooling rooms to 42 m2. Case size: 500 x 500 x 390 mm. Weight is 30 kg. Feature List:
- Remote control of turning on and off, temperature settings, delayed start.
- Compatibility with Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Voice commands.
The price of this pleasure is $ 739.
Window air conditioning FAQ
Do all air conditioners have to be vented out a window?
The only air conditioners that really need to be vented out of the window are portable ones because traditional units usually have some kind of ductwork.
Which brand of window air conditioner is the best?
While there are many great brands, the top ones include Daikin and Fujitsu.
Are window air conditioners any good?
Window air conditioners are a great option for those that just want to cool a smaller room or those that don't want a full unit installed. They do a great job in these conditions.
Are there air conditioners in Australia?
Since Australia can get super hot, air conditioners are quite common. If you need one installed, reach out to us today!
What is the best window wall air conditioner in Australia?
The LG LW8016ER Energy Star Window Air Conditioner was rated the best window wall air conditioner in Australia for 2021/2022, according to reviews and feedback. It is known for its energy efficiency, with an average market price of $600, a weight of 12 kg, and dimensions of 482 x 482 x 304 mm.
What is the best wall-mounted air conditioner?
The best wall-mounted air conditioners for different categories in 2023 are:
- For best comfort: MAXWELL 4MXS36RMVJU + FTXS12LVJU(3), known for its energy efficiency ratings of 17.7 SEER and 12.2 HSPF and its ability to cool or heat three rooms separately up to fifteen feet away from each other2.
- For best value: DAIKIN 4MXS36RMVJU + (3) FTXS09LVJU +(1) FTXS18, which has a cooling capacity of 10,400 min – 38,000 max BTU and a heating capacity of 9,000 min – 43,000 max BTU. It's also noted for its low noise levels and 12-year parts warranty.
- For best power: SIMOE FP10293US, equipped with a powerful 1 ton heat pump and ductless inverter system. It features 184 CFM airflow and a dehumidification technology that removes up to 36 pints of water daily.
- For best convenience: Crispaire HTS-1009S-A, a commercial indoor wall-mounted air curtain. It is easy to install, features a modern design, and includes a remote control for convenient adjustment of settings.
- For best durability: DAIKIN (3 Zone) 4MXS Air Conditioner. It's known for its impressive sustainability credentials, with cooling capacity of 10,200 to 38,000 BTU and heating capacity of 9,100 to 43,000 BTU. It comes with a 12-year parts warranty.